Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Transactions
- Mortgage Lending Transactions (including Multistate Portfolio Transactions)
Representation of institutional investors in connection with all aspects of acquisition, financing, development, leasing and disposition of office, retail (including regional shopping centers), hotel and industrial properties and portfolios; representation of life insurance companies and pension trusts, as lenders and co-lenders, and as borrowers (individually and in business entities with developers) in connection with construction, permanent and equity financing secured by office, retail (including regional shopping centers), hotel and industrial properties and portfolios; consultation and advice in connection with real estate transactions, including preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, loan documents, business entity formation documents, leasing and management agreements and land use documents (including easements, deed restrictions, condominium declarations, reciprocal easement agreements and license agreements).
Recent Representative Matters
- Representation of asbestos personal injury trusts including negotiation of plan documents, formation of asbestos personal injury trusts and transfer of assts to such trusts.
- Representation of a major metropolitan city in connection with its economic development activities, including redevelopment of downtown buildings, revitalization of a transportation hub and analysis of sports complex issues.
- Representation of a life insurance company and its participant, as co-lender, in connection with a $145,000,000 mortgage loan secured by 7 hotel properties in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Vermont.
- Representation of a pension trust in connection with the acquisition of an 80% partnership interest in a portfolio of Texas office buildings from a REIT having an agreed aggregate value of $128,000,000, the contemporaneous formation of a partnership between the pension trust and the REIT, the representation of the partnership in connection with acquisition financing from a life insurance company in the aggregate amount of $88,000,000 and the negotiation of leasing and management agreements on behalf of the partnership, as owner and an affiliate of the REIT, as manager.
- Representation of three life insurance companies, as co-lenders, in connection with a $155,000,000 mortgage loan secured by fee simple, leasehold and servitude (easement) interests in land and air rights in a New Orleans, Louisiana, hotel property.
- Representation of a pension trust in a connection with the formation of a partnership with a developer for the acquisition of an office building and hotel complex in Dallas, Texas, for an aggregate purchase price in excess of $100,000,000 from a life insurance company, the contemporaneous amendment and restatement of an existing reciprocal easement agreement and assignment of the purchase and sale agreement for the hotel (in the center of the complex) from the partnership to a hotel company, representation of the partnership in connection with a $60,000,000 multiple advance loan for the acquisition and renovation of the office buildings (the commitment for which was obtained late in the transaction from a life insurance company, also a client of the firm, which required a waiver of conflict of interest, which was obtained from the law department of each institution) and the negotiation of leasing and management agreements on behalf of the partnership, as owner and an affiliate of the developer, as manager.
- Representation of a life insurance company in connection with the sale of a portfolio 33 industrial properties in nine states to multiple purchasers.
- Representation of a partnership composed of a developer and an institutional equity investor, as landlord, in connection with the negotiation of a lease containing in excess of 387,000 rentable square feet in two office buildings (one of which was under construction and the other of which was to be built on land yet to be acquired) as a headquarters office for a major corporate tenant in Austin, Texas.
Activities and Affiliations
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Director (from its formation in 1989 to its dissolution in 2001) of 2 wholly–owned subsidiaries of Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association, which, prior to its dissolution, owned interests in an expansive mixed-used project known as Las Colinas, Irving, Texas
- Advisory Director (1985 until its dissolution in 1994), Dallas Advisory Board of Directors, Chicago Title Insurance Company
- Director (1983 until its merger into Texas Commerce Bank – Dallas, N.A., 1992), Texas Commerce Bank–Park Central, N.A., Dallas, Texas
Education and Experience
- Columbia University (B.A., 1968)
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 1972)
- Chairman (1996–2002), Stutzman & Bromberg, A Professional Corporation
- Chairman (2003- ), Stutzman, Bromberg, Esserman & Plifka, A Professional Corporation